I made yarn! I told you I was working on content!
For reference’s sake, here is what I started with: December 2013 Fiber Club Shipment from FatCatKnits, Mambo and Tango on Polwarth (5oz total). I did not take the photos – they are the inventory shots from Ginny’s website. I’m simply including them as a “before” shot. To see the club shipment in all it’s glory, check out the listing in her store.
What I did was spin each colourway separately. I broke each down into 4 strips, and spun them end-to-end. When I was done, I plied the two bobbins together. This is what I came up with. These photos *are* mine, but taken on an overcast, snowy day with as much light as I could get into my kitchen.
I had been concerned that the Tango was going to overwhelm the Mambo and be too dark, but I was glad to see that they balanced each other out admirably. The Tango actually does the job of a neutral, and stabilizes the Mambo, actually.
Also, the polwarth is really bouncy and squooshy. I’m enjoying just handling the skein. I just keep picking it up and squishing it because it really is that soft. I felt like I was overspinning the singles, and had to overspin the ply a little bit to keep it dynamic, but it appears that’s exactly what the yarn wanted. Hooray!
Now, after a dunk, a bit of a snap, and some drying time, it’s all ready for its next adventure. I’m thinking of turning it into a Quaker Yarn Stretcher. We’ll see how that goes 🙂