Apparently this week’s Ten on Tuesday is “Favourite Ways to Eat Tomatoes“. Considering I’m not a vegetarian (and thus have a certain kind of “veggie-fu”), this may be limited. Why?
1. Because I don’t drink Tomato juice. So you won’t catch me eating them that way.
2. And I tend to limit my bread, so I’m not going to be enjoying them on my bruschetta.
3. I do like pasta. So I’ll gladly open up a jar of Classico Florentine Spinach and Cheese on the very rare occasion where I allow myself a treat.
4. Tomatoes and beef are the base for my chili, so we generally have that at least once a month.
5. Not so much the Ketchup. I usually only have Ketchup on hot dogs and as a garnish for meat loaf.
6. However, I do like a slice of tomato on my bunless hamburgers. Nummy! Goes with the pickle slice and bit of lettuce.
7. I’ll also eat raw, sliced tomatoes on their own, with a little bit of salt. Because FRESH tomatoes really don’t need much to dress them up.
8. That said, I’ll still toss tomato wedges (or cherry or grape tomatoes) into a salad. Because they add a bit of zing.
9. Like the zing you get when you add a little bit of tomato paste into a base for a soup or stock.
10. Because yes, sometimes I like a tomato-based soup like minestrone.
Huh. And here I was wondering whether I could even think of 10 ways to prepare tomatoes, let alone eat them. Go me! 🙂